Sunday, June 26, 2011

Music is My Life (well becomes my life)

Continued from Big Gay Adventure

Now as a kid I always a hankering for music. My sisters were into all that wonderful seventies pop like Abba, the Osmonds and the like. My brother loved the Rock & Roll which i never appreicated until I was a profession DJ. It was a nice pallette cleanser from all that house, trance, techno and Thunderpuss, Junior Vasquez, Calderone boom de boom. Matter a fact in the early oh ohs I purchased the whole 25 volume Have A Nice Day   series on Rhino but thats another share. Anywho, where was I?... oh yeah... I was 16 in had my first job and I discover in 1983 a little show called MV3 with Richard Blade. For those of us without cable and MTV i was a godsend.



And discovered this little gem.

Yazoo - Don't Go

 I wasn't sure if liked it. I loved the music but I thought Alison Moyet looked like a dude. A real girly dude. I decided I love it. It fascinated me. Mind you I knew what gay was and I knew I was it so I didn't quite know what to do with what I saw.

Another treat.
Toto Coelo - I Eat Canibals
Who'd a thunk? Trash bags for clothing? and so colorful too

 I had a K-tel record called The Beat at the time.
 
If it was a little bent I was digging it. I was stuck with Friday Night videos because we couldn't afford cable at the time. 


I some how made friends with twin girls in high school and they were a huge influence on how my life would turn out later. They introduced me to the alternative musics and most importantly the queer. Mind you this was the earlier 80s and AIDS was just started becoming a problem however nowhere near Chicago at least at 16 I didn't know, but this kind of exposure at that time in my life during the time it was was very advantageous.

That's when I was exposed to
Yello - I Love You
What the hell was that!?! I had never heard anything like it and i love love loved it. AND WE ARE OFF!!! out of the starting gate and on the track to follow the rest of my life.

Oh and this one and I still don't get sick of it
Tin Tin - Kiss Me

Up Next  my naughty life begins in Color My Love (all kinds of ways)

No comments: